Thread: Guidance about software testing freelancing in India

Guidance about software testing freelancing in India

I received this post and wanted to post the reply here also:

What should I learn to be able to move into product testing?

Move to career in product testing

There are a couple of things you can do to improve your chances of getting that first product testing position. It could be helpful to study what it takes to do the work on your time. I was once the manager of a test and verification department, and I recognized initiative of those that applied for open positions that I had. They need not be test experts when I hired them, I know if the other factors were right, they would become great testing people. Those factors are a natural curiosity and the desire to continuously learn, especially on their own time. Learn the language, and study a number of process models for testing. Reading will give you some common ground for discussion and subsequent learning. There are a number of tools that can help manage the test process, for example Test Link is an interesting tool for managing the test process, though there are many other tools of this type out there.

It could be helpful to learn how to use Lab View and National Instruments products for automation. These tools help cover more testing ground (more test cases per unit time) though automation will never be THE solution regarding testing. However, anything that can be written effectively in a specification, should be able to be tested via automation (no creativity and pass fail based upon specification definition and observation of the product.

Exploratory testing, now that is more the effective use of human thinking and creativity. This requires a good knowledge of the product and ways in which the product may be used in the real world, as well as thinking about the spaces between the requirements documentation wherein defects and failures may reside. This is another place where the curious person will prove a benefit to the product improvement and the organization. Critical thinking skills and learning about cognitive biases that can impact the testing, could be helpful.