Thread: Cost of Quality

Cost of Quality

I recently saw a tweet, from a person that was doing the happy dance because the developers wanted to solve the problem, that is the root of the problem so that this defect type will not appear ever again. I was surprised to see this, as my experience is that of management and project managers more interested in solving the defect as it appears in this instance rather than solve the fundamental reason for the defect, that is the root cause as it can be understood. It is true that finding the true reason for the appearance of the defect, at times may be a nontrivial task. To solve the immediate defect may at times be easier than to determine the real cause and alter the system accordingly. The problem with that, is you can expect to see this defect type recurring over and over again in the future. I once worked for a company that was losing millions of dollars due to a development system process problems, and nobody was worried about fixing this problem, just solving the catastrophic results through considerable rework - stealing resources from one project to rework the defects. This of course, then sets the other projects up for failure, like a snowball down hill. Consult the book The Fifth Discipline

In your experience, is the root reason for the defect treated and addressed, or is it the symptom or this instance of the problem resolved?
    Last edited by JonMQuigley; 05-02-2017 at 07:54 PM.