View Poll Results: Is it better to launch a product than to hold the release when things are missing?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Launch - if the negative consequences are deemed small

1 100.00%
  • Launch - do not worry about the consequences it will be sorted out

0 0%
  • Do not launch - if it was in the project plan it was necessary

0 0%
  • Do not launch - we are afraid to make mistakes

0 0%

Thread: Launching a product

Launching a product

I expect some push back from some of my colleagues on this topic. I say, sometimes it is appropriate not to launch. If we do not have a reasonable understanding of the risk versus reward for the project, and there is some deficiency in the project (say missing some key testing) then launching is probably not a good thing. I can think, for example, of the costly recalls, and rework, and perhaps litigation and customers not happy wit our organization as fairly negative and harmful events should we launch when we perhaps should not.

I have at least one project manager friend or mine, that says the business is in business to make money, and not launching is a very bad thing indeed. It is better to get the product out then not to. We can never truly know the risk versus reward with a high degree of certainty anyway. Many times companies have gone through due diligence and found the product fails unexpectedly in the field.

At one time in my career I would have said, 'launch no matter what. Don't miss the date'. With business moving at light speed now the project plan might include an 80% or substantial completion. I always think of cell phone makers, once the launch date is set they launch. Any imperfections will be handled with a update. Not all products can be handled that way - again like cell phones and lithium batteries. IMHO - As a consumer I am not happy if I look forward to getting a product and the manufacturer slips or lets the launch date slip. But I can deal with free upgrades over time.