I had trouble sleeping the other night, and got out of bed and watched one of my favorite movies, A Bridge To Far As I watched, I could not help but see some interesting associations with project management, though I have watched this movie a few times, I never saw that.

Those of you who do not know the movie, it is a 1977 WWII movie about the Allies Operation Market Garden. This operation was thought to end the war early - Christmas of 1944. It was a daring operation, with plenty of brave men. I really do not want to go too far into the movie, if you have not seen it, it is a good movie with an all star cast.

What I never really noticed before, were all of the signs that the "project" should perhaps be reconsidered. This operation had paratroopers dropping many miles behind the German lines.
  1. The landing zones were much less than desired, that is dispersed and many miles away from the targets
  2. There were tanks near the dropzone - rifles do not help against tanks
  3. There were too few aircraft to get all of the paratroopers on the targets at one time

The movie has the Polish General, when he was informed of the distance of the landing zones from the objectives (10 miles), questioned whether the man in charge of the air lift to the target was really a German.
The movie has another character bringing the fact that German tanks were close to the landing zones and the paratrooper objectives. This person, in the movie anyway, thought to be rocking the boat, or that is what I took away from the movie. You can watch the movie or read about this operation to get the details. What I found interesting, was the way the movie presents the optimistic attitude in spite of the ever increasing risks associated with the operation.

How do you keep a positive attitude, while simultaneously preventing disaster from impacting your project?

Are you afraid to rock the boat?