Thread: How is your relationship with Procurement?

How is your relationship with Procurement?

Procurement Department has this idea that they 'own' the project budget and can sometimes go around the Project Manager. Or, Procurement will negotiate with vendors without including the project manager. Any frustrations or thoughts?

Consequences

I have personally seen a project stalled while an organization's purchasing / procurement department negotiate with the supplier. Meanwhile the project schedule ticks away. Ultimately, everybody still expects the project or demands the project to end on time even though significant portions of the schedule had ticked away with little to no work accomplished by the supplier due to contract negotiations.

Fortunately, I reported to a Senior PM early in my career that had several issues with Purchasing / Procurement and warned me. Also, I was offered a position as Procurement Leader (and accepted) to help integrate PM tools into 'buying' and supporting buyers to understand what (& why) project managers needed. That was a great position.

Two ground rules I set: (1) Any discussions/proposals for MY project funds involves me. (2) I review every purchase order before it is issued and I initial to confirm my review and agreement; includes alterations to a PO. POs have been issued with out my initials and I protest to the highest level. It is not a case of 'getting my way', it is protecting MY approved project funds.