Thread: What area of PM gives you the most problems?

What area of PM gives you the most problems?

We all struggle at times with Team Members, Stakeholders, but what about executing tools & techniques? Are there any that frustrate you?

Stakeholders - sponsors

In my experience Sponsors are one of the key reason for trials of a project, especially when they do not know what is required to hit their targets

Response:

Quote Originally Posted by PmSG View Post
    We all struggle at times with Team Members, Stakeholders, but what about executing tools & techniques? Are there any that frustrate you?
    I can easily hire and train for tools and techniques. It's knowing how to deal with emotional people that helps me stand out from other PMs.

There are a few books about working with sponsors. one in particular explains what a sponsor does. when I have run into this issue I explain what the project needs from the sponsor and what I need from the sponsor. on at least one occasion I have gone over the sponsor's head to discuss their behavior. in this case the sponsor selection process failed and the sponsor was replaced. I find that in large corporations getting the commitment from sponsors is extremely hard as that person is juggling their own work load, department, KPIs, so there is little time to support a project/project manager.

Sponsor Negligence

It is good that you recognized the limits of the assigned sponsor and took action. My experience suggests this is uncomfortable for many project managers for some reason. I say that, because what I seem to see, is a reluctance to push the issue, meanwhile, the project slowly and progressively falls behind expectations. When the situation is finally made known, the schedule and budget are blown, and the morale of the team has been negatively impacted.

tools, techniques and people

Quote Originally Posted by CoachReine View Post
    I can easily hire and train for tools and techniques. It's knowing how to deal with emotional people that helps me stand out from other PMs.
    The better armed the individual with tools and techniques, better enable the individual to understand and address a project situation. The inability to understand or respond to the situations presented, can cause frustration. Generally speaking, a frustrated person, may not be the easiest with which to get along. Under duress, a person's judgement may be compromised. I cannot count how many times I have worked with people that were asking for what is measurably impossible based upon measurements. This even happens for project managers - for example, test the software, the software is not here to test.

Tools and techniques can help by helping understand the situation as best possible. Especially, if we are adequately and truthfully measuring and reporting. The reduction of stress, clear understanding of the situation, that is what can perhaps be done rationally. Generally speaking, rationally will also help reduce stress and facilitate cool heads. Cool heads often prevail.